Friday, June 26, 2015

Garden Update








One of the things I love about gardening, besides fresh food, is the wonderful ability to feel so connected to the Earth! I love digging in the dirt, seeing worms roam around, and watching the slow but steady progress of a plant beginning to form! The other day I saw the first of our little tiny tomatoes on one of the branches and I got so excited!

I am in no way an expert gardener.  I like to try new things and read blogs, books, and ask other gardeners questions.  There is always room to learn in gardening like what type of plants work with others and proper planting times. All of these things come with practice so I am learning as I go!

This year in the garden I planted lots of tomatoes (a family favorite) and they have been growing like crazy along with kale, spinach, basil, and a new to me plant- brussels sprouts! We have had a lot of rain in the past two weeks and it seemed like out of nowhere my little tiny sprouts got big and tall!  I also planted green bell peppers, but just like last year they are not doing too good (they are planted behind the kale in the photos).  Last year I did not get any peppers until late August and we only got about 4 or 5 of them.  If the same thing happens this year I am going to scrap peppers next year and try something new (like corn!!!).

Every morning I wake up, make my coffee, and go out into the garden to check on things.  For breakfast I have really been enjoying egg whites with spinach and kale!  I also mix in whatever else is in the fridge from the previous night like rice or potatoes!  Note to self- the best breakfasts are leftover potatoes and scrambled egg whites with sauteed peas and onions. Delicious!!

Hope you all are enjoying your summer mornings!

No comments:

Post a Comment